What Are the Causes of Erectile Dysfunction?
The erectile dysfunction (ED) is one of the most common male problems. It can affect men at any age and in any social class. The problem is not a sexual dysfunction but a medical problem that can be easily treated. It is important to understand the cause of this problem before trying to treat it. The causes are many and varied, so it is important to look for the underlying cause of ED before trying any treatment.
Causes of ED
1. Diabetes: If you have diabetes then you will have an increased risk of developing ED. This is because your body is unable to make enough of the hormone nitric oxide which helps in the blood flow. As a result of this, there is a lack of blood flow in the penis.
2. Hypertension: If you have high blood pressure then you are at a higher risk of developing ED. This happens because of the same reason as above.
3. Obesity: Obesity can lead to a decrease in testosterone level. This means that the man has less sex drive and his ability to get aroused is also affected.
4. Age: As we grow older, our bodies produce less testosterone. This is why many older men develop ED.
5. Medications: Many medications can cause ED. These include anti-depressants, anti-seizure drugs, beta blockers and some anti-hypertensives.
6. Trauma: A physical injury or surgery can also cause ED.
7. Stress: Stress can lead to ED if you are a person who does not cope well with stress.
8. Alcohol: Heavy drinking can cause ED.
9. Hormonal Changes: Some hormonal changes can lead to ED. These include puberty, pregnancy and menopause.
Treatments for ED
There are different treatments for ED. Some of them are listed below:
1. PDE-5 Inhibitors: This is a type of medication that works by blocking the action of PDE-5. This is the enzyme that causes the relaxation of the muscles of the penile arteries. The medication works by inhibiting the action of this enzyme.
2. Vardenafil: This is another type of medication that is used to treat ED. It works by increasing the flow of blood to the penis.
3. Sildenafil: This is the brand name for Viagra. It is used to treat ED.
4. Tadalafil: This is another brand name for Cialis. It is used to treat erectile dysfunction.